Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Heatwave

Damn its hot. Los Angeles has been baking for the past week. Temperatures in the San Fernando Valley yesterday reached 115 and all other conversation has taken a back seat to discussions of global warming and the cost of running air conditioning.
Thankfully I don't have to wear a suit and tie to work so I don't have to suffer as much as your typical corporate drone, but I guess that is why they get paid the big bucks. In any case life goes on, if at a slower or more languid pace. In this weather I would love to spend the day lounging at some beachside bar like Cafe del Mar, just relaxing and watching the world go by.

On a day like today I think it is fully appropriate to dedicate a tune to a classic 70s R&B/Disco band, especially since their very name evokes the times. Here is Heatwave with their classic Star of the Story off their album Central Heating.

Heatwave - Star of the Story

In addition here is a track most of you probably already know from disco comps and the movies, Heatwave doing Boogie Nights



...and just to see if anyone makes it this far into the post I am going to embed one of my greatest finds this year down here at the bottom. Last night while trawling through the boards at ILM I discovered this unreal resource. Cocoon, Sven Vath's tech label, has a site up dedicated to exploring the Cocoon lifestyle called Cocoon Styled. There are pictures from events, streaming sets, and perhaps most importantly tons of incredible dj sets available for download. I just pulled off a set of Villalobos at Voltt from earlier this year that is better than any commercially available set of his I have ever heard. There are sets there from Luciano, Vath, and many more of the names many of us have come to know and love. Check it out.

No comments: