Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Disco not Disco

Feeling a little under the weather today. Stuck in the house with a summer cold while the weather outside is scorching is no fun. Everytime I have to leave the house I feel like I am going to tip over.

Ugh. So its time to explore the tunes I haven't gotten to in ages. This time period of early 80s electro disco is awesome. I wouldn't define it as post punk exactly, athough it certainly was influenced by some of those sounds. More like disjointed disco. The rhythms are not really straight ahead but are still propulsive and the choices in sounds are harsh and in many cases untreated.

Alexander Robotnik is probably one of the better known names on here. His classic, Problemes de Amour, used to rock the dancefloor in one of the little clubs I went to in my hometown pretty relentlessly. Sandwiched between Duran Duran and the Cure it made for a pretty interesting clubbing experience.

Alexander Robotnik - Problemes D'Amour


Connie Case's "Get Down" was a one time excursion for Noel Williams who went on to produce Miami Bass and electro. Classic Track.

Connie Case - Get Down

No comments: