Saturday, October 22, 2005

Working in the academic sector, I seem to run into issues of copyright fairly continuously. The law is often confusing and in my opinion usually works against scholarship. That said I find keeping up with it slightly entertaining being that I am a geek. Google's recent efforts to scan as many books as possible in an attempt to index knowledge I applaud as a boon to educators and anyone that wants to do good research. There is a universe of information trapped in between the pages of books that are not indexed correctly, or at all, and this could help to expand our knowledge by leaps and bounds.

I usually keep up on copyright via EFF, but today Kevin Drum has written (as usual) a very sensible article on the merits and some of the problems with Google's new system.

No comments: