Tuesday, October 25, 2005


I am going to conclude this little jaunt into dance music on a personal note. I lived in London from about 1992 to 1998. It was a great time to be in the city. Music of all sorts was blowing up. Warp Records was in its heyday. Techno and hard acid were going full bore and I had fallen in love with a club called Megatripolis. As I was falling down the techno/trance hole into another dimension I met this guy, Ed DMX. He was lacking a place to stay and had moved in with my good friend Sam in his legendary flat in Tufnell Park. That flat was filled with odd balls, all of us were obsessed with Trance and Ambient Techno and its derivitatives and here comes Ed bearing the banner for electro long before it became fashionable.

I had been into breakdancing in junior high and still kept a hand in listening to Drexia, B12, and other assorted Warp foreys into electro. So I used to chat to Ed about the past and wondered how he was going to translate his vision of reviving electros sounds into reality.

Fast forward to 2001/2002 and Ed had blown up! I found him looking back at me from inside of magazines as the electroclash movement swept the states and everyone it seemed was obsessed with those old school chunky beats. Time has passed and he has mercifully ridden out the flash in the pan that electoclash was and matured into a respected artist on his own.

This last weekend I bit the bullet and contributed to his success with the purchase of the Wave Function CD, and its great! Here is an old track of his that quite neatly fits in with some of the other stuff I have been posting recently.

DMX KREW - Good Ol' Daze

Tomorrow starts quite a different cycle of music. DRONE......

No comments: