Monday, May 22, 2006

Gabriel Ananda & Cio D'or

Well, its a rainy morning here in LA, but listening to this you would never know it. I have been coming around to Ananda's interpretation of house/techno for a while now. It is very similar to Dominik Eulberg's expansive interpretation of what techno can be. I remember reading somewhere that Eulberg was directly influenced by Sven Vath in the mid 90s and wanted to reinterpret that sound for today's dancefloor. Discogs says that Ananada had a similar experience with Vath and his tracks have many of the hallmarks of that mid 90s trance sound particularly the build and heavy use of melody. The difference is all in the bpm. The sound today is noticably slowed down and given more room so that a groove is allowed to develop, in contrast to the Eye Q stuff that is between 10 and 20 bpm faster.

This track is a collaboration with Cio D'or on the ace triebstoff records imprint. The 12" is a single sided vinyl with a textured back that is signed by both artists. Have at it collector scum!

Gabriel Ananda & Cio D'or - Lauschgoldengel

4 comments:

Chantilly Bass said...

Clearly one of the best tracks of the year. You think it's going to be run of the mill minimal Zzzzzz, but then it gets all epic on you with the "developing groove" strategy mentioned. If only more records could follow suit. Glad to see someone post it.

hector23 said...

I think its pretty awesome myself. His productions certainly cross over into near epic/progressive territory. What did you think about the Tejada I posted earlier in the week? It clearly has the same melodic/groove build thing going on but in a much more restrained way.

Chantilly Bass said...

I have to say I didn't like the Tejada track the first time I heard it, but slowly, it's grown on me. I have always appreciated Tejada's work, but after you see him live he's a legend. One of the greatest parties I've ever been to was his Sunday afternoon set during San Francisco's Love Parade last year, and he blew the roof, making it a day I'll never forget. He's a technochameleon who can both bang and hypnotize. Love his vocal stuff with Qzen too. Oh and "Mono on Mono" would make the perfect theme for a spy movie. What else can I say? The man is so versatile, yet so consistent with his prouduction quality. If you ever get the chance to see him live, jump on it. You're in LA, right? So you probably have already...no?

hector23 said...

I wish. Going out is a past time best remembered by those of us with small children. Unfortunatly most of my clubbing experiences happened in London throughout the 90s. Responsibility and a lack of babysitters forces me to experience much of this music in a purely theoretical way.

I think the last person I saw was M. Mayer the last time he swung through town about a year ago.

I sure am envious of your pilgrimage to DEMF. That is going to be legendary.