Thursday, December 15, 2005

I had intended to continue the new dance music thread throughout the week. However, fate conspired to throw me off course. I had ordered a Nina Simone video off Netflix months ago. Just kind of letting it move up the chain naturally, not really caring when it came in. Well it came in yesterday and as usual she blew me away. It wasn't very long and didn't concentrate on my favorite period of her music but still, wow.

Her arrangements and flow are unreal. One of the tracks reminded me of Mogwai or Godspeed you black emperor. Slowly building with instruments adding, melody growing in compexity, and then with complete control she subsumes all that to the emotion of a vocal. Stunning.

Chew on these tidbits:

Nina Simone - Sinnerman


Nina Simone - Funkier than a mosquitos tweeter

No comments: